Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Author Interview - Elle Hayes - Erotic Romances




Tonya:  Thank you for stopping in during this busy holiday week to learn more about Elle! We have another great blog day. Elle, tell us a bit about yourself. Do you have a day job?

Elle:  Yes, I work in the finance department of a four year university.  Not to be confused with financial aid, my office handles the budget of the university.  It’s a great job and I truly love the group of people I work with on a daily basis, but I long for the day when I can write full-time.

Tonya:  Some of us have things we do to get into the writing frame of mind like music, or drinks. Do you have anything special you do to get into the writing mood?

Elle:  I love listening to music, mostly instrumental because lyrics distract me.  I keep a pen and paper handy to jot down notes and a bottle of water or mug of tea.  

Tonya:  Are you ever at a loss for ideas? What do you do to get past those time? I don’t have them often but being out in my yard and gardens helps me get creative.

Elle:  When I get stuck I step away from what I’m working on and work on something else for awhile.  I have a WIP (work in progress) list that will keep me busy for the next several years so there’s always something to do.  I also try to stay active on the social networking sites because that’s how I’ve been able to network with other authors who keep me motivated.

Tonya:  Social networking can do so much for us! I love it! Do you have a card file where you keep story ideas? Where do they come from?

Elle:  I store me ideas in electronic files.  I keep them on my laptop and my Blackberry.  That way no matter where I am I have access to my ideas so I can write a scene whenever the mood strikes.  Let me tell you, the mood can strike at some very bizarre times.

Tonya:  Characters are always popping up and we can’t control that! Tell us about a day in your life as a writer.

Elle:  I work from 9-5 then head home to unwind with my family.  At least three days a week I work out with my daughter who is on standby to join the Air Force right now.  I usually start writing around 8 or 9 in the evenings.

Tonya:  Are you a daytime writer, night time writer, and do you have to be alone to write?

Elle:  I’m 100% nocturnal.  I jokingly tell people that I’m part vampire.  I really just don’t write well until its dark outside.  I prefer to be alone but when I’m really focused on a scene it doesn’t matter who’s around or what they are doing.  I get in my zone and tune them out.  It drives my poor husband nuts.

Tonya:  Do you have critique partners or ever been in a critique group? What was the best thing you learned from a critique?

Elle:  I have a good friend who will critique my stuff before I submit it.  She actually helped to build my confidence early on by validating my ideas and giving me great suggestions about dialog.  The best thing I learned from having someone critique me is that no matter how many times I re-read my own story and self edit it takes another pair of eyes to catch things I’m going to miss.

Tonya:  Do you write better when you first have an idea of what your characters look like or do you write, then add character looks?

Elle:  I write first.  The physical features begin to form as the characters personalities take shape.

Tonya:  Do you always include HEA and is that type of ending important to you?

Elle:  Absolutely!  Although I’m firmly in the erotic fiction genre the romantic aspect of my stories is very important to me.  I can’t imagine writing a book that didn’t have a HEA.

Tonya:  Where can our readers find you and your books?


Elle:  They can visit my blog at http://elledhayes.blogspot.com/ or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/#!/elledhayes or follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/#!/elledhayes.  My debut novel, Wynter’s Blossom, will be published by Beautiful Trouble Publishing later this month and can be purchased on their website at https://beautifultroublepublishing.com/.
 

Tonya:  Is there anything else you want to tell our readers?

Elle:  Share your passion for reading with someone else.  Don’t be afraid to share those spicy erotic novels with your lover.  Read them together and become inspired.

Tonya:  Readers, Elle will be around so feel free to leave a comment and chat with her! Thank you so much for stopping in to learn more about Elle. Hop over to her sites and also take a few minutes to roam around my site here. Happy 4th of July week!!