Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Trained, Book 1, new release by Shae Wilder!



Shae Wilder
Romance Author

My guest this week is Shae Wilder, who writes from a mountain in northern Pennsylvania. She is happiest outdoors, but loves to snuggle up with a good book. She enjoys cooking tasty food, drinking fine whiskey, and penning stories that make you blush. I got the opportunity to talk with her recently about the book she just released. Her links are listed at the bottom so please stop by her sites and grab her books!

Tonya: Readers love to know more about their authors. Tell us a bit about yourself.

Shae: I’ve been writing for over a decade. I’m traditionally published in another genre under another name, but all my erotica is indie-published. I live in Pennsylvania and have a loving hubby who is very supportive of my writing. I love to be outdoors, walking in the woods, but also love to sit quietly in a comfy chair and write. That’s not to say that I’ve never binge-watched a whole TV series in a weekend, because I’ve definitely done that. I’m looking at you, The Walking Dead.

Tonya: Do you have a day job?

Shae: I’m lucky enough to be able to focus all my energies on writing. There’s always housework, but that never goes away. Writing is my main passion and profession, so I try to make it come first.

Tonya: Yes, you’re lucky! That’s wonderful. Some of us have things we do to get into the writing frame of mind like music, or drinks. Do you have anything special you do to get into the writing mood?

Shae: If it’s morning, then caffeine is my writing friend. If it’s evening, then there’s usually alcohol somewhere within reach. One thing I always have on hand is candy. I find the sugar burst in the brain really gets the words flowing. Starbursts are my go-to favorites.

Tonya: Mine is dark chocolate. Where do you keep story ideas? Where do they come from?

Shae: I keep ideas in a file on my computer, but if one is really nagging at me, it gets its own file and outline. I wish I had a trick for finding story ideas, but I don’t. Finding story ideas is one of the hardest things for me. Sometimes one will just pop into my head. Other times I’m inspired by a setting or a person. Sometimes I just sit in front of the computer with a blank look on my face wishing there was a story fairy.

Tonya: Let me know if she contacts you and then send her my way! If you’re self-published, can you tell us a bit about that and how it’s going for you?

Shae: I am, and wow, what a learning curve it has been. I didn’t know how much I didn’t know until I started. So far, it’s been going pretty well. I’ve been using KDP and the free days have really helped to get readers interested in my work. I’ve had sales as well, which are always encouraging. Promotion takes up a lot more time than I had anticipated, though. It’s work! But I’ve met some amazing people online, so I’ve enjoyed the process.

Tonya: Are you a daytime writer, night time writer, and do you have to be alone to write?

Shae: I’m both. I can write in the morning (well, whenever I get up I consider that morning. Sometimes that comes around noon) or I can write well into the night. I actually think I’m more productive at night. There have been times when I’ve written all day long. Those are good days.

Tonya: Love it when I can just write all day. What advice would you give to new authors?

Shae: First, read a ton in the genre in which you want to write. Get familiar with what works and what doesn’t. Second, don’t be afraid to write a crappy first draft. From there, you have something to polish, which brings me to #3. Revise, revise, revise. Get a critique partner if you can find one who will go over your work with a fresh set of eyes. Consider hiring an editor. #4: Get a great cover, even if that means hiring a designer. #5: Be prepared to promote yourself. The days are gone of writers typing away from a hole somewhere and having their work sail out from obscurity to success. It takes stamina and effort to get your work out there.

Tonya: Professional editing is a must in this business. Do you write better when you first have an idea of what your characters look like or do you write, then add character looks?

Shae: I definitely write better when I have an idea of what my characters look like. They’re more alive that way, and more fleshed-out. Those kinds of characters drive the story forward rather than just take part in it.

Tonya: What attracts you most about men?

Shae: I’m a sucker for a great set of shoulders and a broad muscular chest. And abs. And a nice ass. Okay, there’s not much about men that I don’t like.

Tonya: LOL I hear you! We’re dying to hear about your latest book. What can you tell us without spoiling the storyline?

Shae: My latest is called TRAINED (Sex Academy Book 1). It’s an erotic dystopian about a girl who must attend a school for sex workers under a new governmental regime where women can either do that or become a breeder and have a dozen babies. Think Harry Potter meets Handmaid’s Tale with lots and lots of sex.

Tonya: Where can our readers find you and your books?

Shae: Everything’s on Amazon for now.

Tonya: Is there anything else you want to tell our readers?

Shae: I’m floored by how welcoming and inclusive the erotica community is. I just want to thank readers and other authors. Thank you!

Tonya: Now for a few personal questions. What is your favorite night time snack?

Shae: Doritos, baby. Or anything salty and fried. I usually go for salty over sweet, but ice cream would be my sweet treat.

Tonya: Do you like toppings on your ice cream?

Shae: Sure! Sprinkles, syrup, whipped cream, the more the better. I’m no purist. More is more where ice cream is concerned.

Tonya: What’s your favorite meal - Italian, Mexican, Thai, etc?

Shae: I’d go for Indian every time. I love all the combinations of spices and herbs. And although I’m not a huge bread eater, I love garlic naan. My favorite starch is rice and it goes perfectly with Indian food. I love that I could eat Indian every day and never have the same meal twice. Everything seems to go together and make new flavors. Now I’m hungry!

Tonya: Readers, thank you for stopping in to meet Shae and for adding her to your new author list. Below is an excerpt of TRAIINED so enjoy. Be sure to stop by her site links and check out the buy link you use to help Shae get her books to the top!


Excerpt:
I walked up the aisle toward the front of the room, scanning the line of men. Only then did I notice that one of them was Trent. His eyes widened slightly when my gaze met his, and the faintest of smiles curled up one side of his full mouth. I tore my attention away from him and strode down the line of men. But I was drawn back to Trent. He was a familiar face, and whatever this class had in store, at least familiarity would be on my side. Plus, he looked gorgeous in the suit. His broad shoulders and tapered waist led down to long, muscular legs that showed slightly through the suit fabric. Our eyes met again and he raised one eyebrow as if to dare me. “This one,” I said, pointing to Trent.





Buy Links: